05 April 2022

Moral of the story: Do NOT buy from Asus. Intel is willing to offer a refund. Asus is not.

 As a follow-up to my previous blog post about the data corruption issue that I was experiencing with the Intel Core i9-12900K processor that was running on the Asus Z690 Prime-P D4 motherboard, Intel has offered a full refund on the defective unit whilst Asus has not.

So, moral of the story:

Don't buy from Asus.

I mean, clearly, if the interaction between the Intel Core i9-12900K and the Asus Z690 Prime-P D4 motherboard is causing the system to spontaneously reset itself when I attempted to run memtest86 a second time, using the memory that was from my AMD Ryzen 9 5950X (which was also using an Asus motherboard), which PASSED memtest86 on said Ryzen platform, and by putting those four DIMMs into the Asus Z690 Prime-P D4 motherboard, it results in the system spontaneously resetting itself; that's NOT a good sign of a reliable motherboard.

Asus was ONLY willing offer a RMA repair, and I told them that the CPU is in the process of being sent back, so even if they attempted to repair it, I would have no way of verifying whether the issue is still there or not because the CPU would've already been sent back and I'm not buying another Alder Lake CPU from Intel only to give it the chance for this problem to repeat itself.

So, moral of the story:

Don't buy from Asus.